I have damage from the storm, what should I do?

  1. Make sure your home is secure and assess the damages. We recommend you take photos of the loss and property damage.

  2. Make a detailed list of all damaged or destroyed personal property. Do not throw out damaged property until you have met with an adjuster. It is your responsibility to protect your property from further damage.

  3. In the event you have holes in your roof, walls, or broken windows, you should make arrangements to secure the structure and prevent further damage. It may be necessary to obtain the assistance of a contractor or handyman to help with damage control. You must present any incurred “emergency repair” expenses to your adjuster.

  4. If a tree is laying on your roof or any structure on your property, it is your responsibility to arrange for the tree to be removed. If possible, we request that the tree be removed from the structure prior to the inspection. Your policy provides coverage for the cost to remove the tree from the covered structure and lay it on the ground. Once the tree debris is on the ground, the Homeowner’s policy limit for tree debris removal is $500 per tree, with a maximum payable limit of $1,000, which includes any stump grinding.

  5. Please save any invoices/receipts and present those to the adjuster.

  6. If your power is out and the weather is expected to be below freezing, take steps to protect plumbing systems from freezing by turning off water and draining the system, running space heaters, or leaving the tap running at a slow drip to keep water flowing through the lines.

We want you to be aware, following a storm, that repair vendors may be going door-to-door asking to inspect your property for storm damage. We caution you not to sign any agreements prior to our inspection of the property, as these agreements could bind you to uncovered repairs or to specific contractors.

Once your claim is reported to Western National Insurance, you will be contacted by an adjuster. If your home requires an inspection, we will assign a field adjuster who will contact you directly to schedule an appointment.

My power is out – is a hotel covered by my insurance policy?

In order for your “Additional Living Expenses” to be covered, there must be significant damage to your home from a covered cause of loss that causes it to become uninhabitable. In general, an off-premises power failure is not a covered cause of loss. If the damage to your home is not from a covered loss, there would not be coverage for the cost of a hotel or additional living expenses.

If you have lost food in a refrigerator or freezer due to a power failure for an extended period of time, make a list of the lost items and take photos, if possible. You may have limited coverage for the loss of perishable products.

When is my adjuster coming?

Please note, we are working as quickly as possible to address and inspect all claims. You should hear from an adjuster within 48 hours. If you have not received contact from your field adjuster within 48 hours of submitting your claim, please contact our office at (855) 921-3164. The field adjuster will schedule an appointment with you directly. The date of your inspection is dependent on the schedule of the field adjuster and your availability. Therefore, it is important to work directly with your field adjuster to get an inspection scheduled.

The inspection is between you, the insured, and the field adjuster.

What happens at an inspection?

The field adjuster will inspect your property and take photographs of the damage. We recommend that you point out any areas of concern, such as damage to the exterior/interior of your home, and any other structures such as fences, sheds, or personal property.

Please provide the field adjuster with any receipts, invoices, or additional information that is pertinent to your claim.

My inspection took place, what is the next step?

The adjuster will inspect your property and compile a report that includes photos and an estimate to complete the repairs. The report will be submitted to Western National and reviewed in the order in which it is received. Once reviewed, you will be contacted to discuss the findings of the inspection. We will provide you with a breakdown of the payment, along with a copy of the adjuster’s estimate. Claim payments and associated paperwork will arrive separately.

Response times will vary depending on the volume of claims.

We recommend you take time to review the paperwork in full. Should you have additional questions, please reach out to your adjuster.

When will I get a check?

We are working as quickly as possible to process your claim. We hope to process your report within 7 days of receipt, however, during catastrophes, response times will vary. Claims are processed in the order in which they are received. After a payment is issued, please allow 7-10 business days for mailing.

Why is the mortgage company on the payment?

We are required to include the mortgage company on payments for real property, such as your dwelling and outbuildings. Each mortgage company handles the endorsement of checks differently. To learn about your mortgage companies specific endorsement procedures, please reach out to them directly.

What if I get a contractor estimate that is higher than what the insurance company wrote?

This policy is a contract between you, the insured, and Western National Insurance. Western National requests communication from your contractor be completed through you, the policyholder.

First, an estimate is just that – an estimate. We do our best to include all damage in our report, but occasionally, there are differences in the price or the scope of the repairs.

We will provide you a copy of our estimate of repair. You are responsible for hiring a contractor. It may be wise to obtain several contractor’s estimates to compare to our estimate. You may provide a copy of our adjuster’s estimate to your contractor.

If you or your contractor disagrees with any of the approved repair/replacement figures, you must notify our office immediately. Any repair of damages and appraised amounts not listed in our estimate require prior approval. The approval must be obtained prior to repairs being started.

What is recoverable depreciation and holdback?

Recoverable depreciation is taken if you have replacement cost coverage on your policy. Once the repairs are complete, you may make a claim for the withheld depreciation. The depreciation is calculated based upon the type, age, and life expectancy of the material being replaced. We require a final invoice for repairs showing the total amount to repair or replace the property.

Where can I send information about my claim?

Please email pc.claims@wnins.com. It is important to include your 10-digit claim number in the subject line to ensure it gets to your specific file.

You can also fax information to (952) 921-3153.


Western National Insurance

4700 West 77th Street

Edina, MN 55435-4818

***Please include your claim number on any documentation that is sent in.