January 26, 2006
Western National Mutual Insurance Group Announces Year End 2005 Results
Western National Insurance Group today announced their full year financial results through December 31, 2005. Notable comparisons to results at 12/31/04 are:
- Net Written Premiums grew from $181.9 million to $186.6 million, an increase of $4.7 million or 2.6%
- Total Assets increased from $341.8 million to $390.2 million, up $48.4 million or 14%
- The Combined Ratio was 91.0%, essentially unchanged from last year's 90.7%
- Net Underwriting Gain totaled $12.9 million, up $0.6 million, or 5%
- Net Income After Tax totaled $19.3 million, up $1.9 million or 10.9%
- Surplus increased from $113.4 million to $133.5 million, an increase of $20.1 million or 17.7%
"2005 was yet another extraordinary year for Western National, producing a financial result that once again exceeds that of the prior year," said Stuart Henderson, president & chief executive officer. "This is even more spectacular when you consider that, in September 2005, our policyholders suffered the third worst month of storm losses in our 100 plus year history. While falling short on our premium growth goal was admittedly disappointing, we did achieve the goal of a 15% return on Surplus- and we will continue to use profit over premium as a measurement of success at Western National. We thank our employees, independent agent partners, and our loyal policyholders for working together to produce these results."
Western National Insurance Group consists of two regional Property and Casualty Insurance companies with direct written premium in excess of $210 million. Western National Mutual Insurance Company is headquartered in Edina, Minnesota and writes in MN, WI, SD, ND and IA. Western National Assurance Company maintains offices in Seattle, Washington, and writes in WA and OR. Both companies write both personal and commercial lines. The company distributes its insurance products solely via the Independent Agency distribution system.
For further information, contact:
Mary S. Manley
SVP Corporate Affairs & Administration